Monday, November 5, 2012

How We Halloweened

Although the lead-in to Halloween was WAY too long this year (my fault for putting the decorations up on October 1st), the big day finally arrived and my little fireman and fairy were not disappointed. Because all of the houses in our neighborhood are raised, our neighbors take Halloween to the streets which makes it WAY fun. It really was a special night full of bonfires, spiced (and spiked) cider, and so much candy that our teeth hurt. 

We began in the usual tradition: with a big pot of chili and my mom's Mexican cornbread recipe which is the best thing you'll ever put in your mouth. This meal is the ONLY way that Halloween can begin. It's a tradition carried over from my childhood when my mom did her best to fill our bellies in hopes that we wouldn't eat too much candy (it didn't work, then or now). 

My little ones seemed like old-pros at trick-or-treating and really were the last ones standing in our neighborhood. Like last year, they'd have kept going if people weren't turning off porch lights. And now, as usual, I'm very happy to be finished with Halloween and moving into the season of gratitude. Right now I'm grateful that my mantel no longer looks like this: 


And of course, as usual and most of all, I am grateful for these little guys and the fact that I get to experience everything for the first time through their little eyes.

And now can we please put up the Christmas tree?

Mexican Cornbread:

1/2 can cream-style corn
1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 or 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients lightly in a bowl, reserving half the cheese to pour over the top. Pour into greased baking dish and add reserved cheese. Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...